Monday, December 21, 2009

Zen's first Agility Trial

This weekend was the Knight Flyer Agility Trial in Carthage. I just drove back and forth both days, but I took all three dogs. As far as Q'ing we only came home with one. It was our starters standard (finally) and that gave Carrie the AD title. AD (agility dog) means she has all required legs in all starters classes and can move up to advanced in everything. She's already in masters classes, but the AD is a title of completing the starters level.

Anywho, Zen was GREAT! He had a good time. I put him in a soft-sided crate because they are easier to carry. Susan told me I was brave to be putting a puppy in a soft-sided, but Zen proved he could handle it. He was awesome. He seemed to just take everything in stride with the exception of a rude papillon. I had him out and was just walking him around and this papillon was struggling at the end of the leash "wanting to say hi." Zen did not, he thought this dog was being rude and the owner would not quit trying to allow her dog to advance on Zen. I just turned and walked away. No need for my puppy to have any bad experiences at trials. I later saw that dog lunging and barking at other dogs, so I'm glad I trusted my puppy. Some people just don't pay attention to body language.

Zen tugged with me indoors and out. He tugged with other people. (which I caught on tape) We played some fetch outside and he got his first lesson on going after rolling frisbees! Overall a very good weekend for the pupper. When we got home I met up with Harley and his friend Cody for an hour long hike/ball throwing fest at the lake. Harley took a few pictures which I hope he will send me. I have lots and lots of video to go through of the whole weekend, the lake, and a shaping session I had with Zen this morning. It was incredibly cute. I was working on the "down". Which he got, then added his own twist to. He scoots backwards while in the down position. I'm naming it "scoot". Hopefully he will catch on quickly to having behaviors under stimulus control and won't be offering "scoot" everytime he downs.

More later, I have to go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment