Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Wool is yummy

Before I cough up the video I need to give everyone a little backstory here. About a month ago Zen and I went herding with a BC trainer that I have been going to for quite a while. We had a really bad experience. Zen had been there before and the trainer was really good with him and my other dog, Rumor. Zen was a little older this time, a little bigger, and a little more eager to do the sheep thing. He did some wool-pulling on this lady's sheep and she absolutely had a cow. She told me I had no control over my dog, that he was totally blowing me off and had no respect for me. She said she wanted me to bring him back on a prong collar. I left in tears.

I know this dog, he's *not* pushy and over the top. Not to me anyway. Does he sometimes push the limits to see what he can get away with, yeah, he's a puppy. Well I e-mailed his breeder and she was super supportive. She had some good advice to offer as well. While I would *love* to be able to spend some time with her to herd, Washington State is very far. Maybe one day when all the stars line up just right I can make it out there to do some herding. Right now, I'm stuck in Texas.

I e-mailed Debbie. She lives about an hour away and has ACD's. I didn't tell her what happened, I just told her that when they get together to do some herding I would like to join. Well, Debbie texted me Friday night and said they were going to worm sheep/trim hooves on Saturday and they would be able to start herding soon after that. I told her I wanted to help. One day I hope to have my own sheep to train with, so I'd like to learn about all things sheep. Debbie said I could bring my dogs and to be there at 7a.m.

After all the sheep were taken care of I was good and sweaty/muddy/bloody etc. She said we could do a quick session. I told her about our experience and told her I wanted her to work Zen for me to see what she thought. Well, he went with her, but ran back to me when she dropped the long-line. So I went out there and he was ready to herd. I will let the video speak for itself.

2 comments:

  1. looks like a talented 8 month old ACD to me. Keep it positive and light at this age. There are trainers in Texas who are know ACDs. Best wishes, Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. There *are* trainers and ACD people in Texas, but I'm in northeast TX. Dallas is a 3-4 hr drive depending on where in Dallas I need to be. Then Houston is a 5 hr drive. I was driving 2.5 hrs one way to go to Linda, but Debbie is closer at about 1.5 hours.

    I think he's talented, but I'm the weak end of the team in herding.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete