Monday, August 8, 2016

Hiking





I love the outdoors and it seems I just don't do enough hiking. Its about a 1.5-2 hour drive for me to get to the Ouachita mountains in Arkansas, so that kind of puts me off a little. A couple weeks ago we went to let the dogs swim in the river and enjoy a trip away from home. I mentioned to Travis that I still want to do more hiking and possibly an over night hike. While on the way home we stopped into some gas stations and picked up some maps of hiking trails and stuff.


Last week I kept looking at the maps, and online and searching for a good hike, just to get back into it. I chose an equestrian trail, and figured if we came up to the trail head and saw a bunch of horse trailers I'd hike a different trail. Well, it was clear, I was the only car in the lot, I took all 4 dogs with me. We had a great time! The actual trail I think was 13 mile out and back, but we walked about 2.5-3 miles in and came back. I didn't want to push it too far, and as it was, when I got home I realized Gus had torn pads on both front feet, and one of Zen's was slightly cracked. The two girls were fine. No limping on the trail though.


It was 95 degrees outside, and I'd heard on the radio that the heat index was 112, well, it wasn't quite that bad. There was good cloud coverage, and the trail was shaded almost the entire way, with lots of creeks to stop and wade in for the dogs.





No comments:

Post a Comment